Thursday, April 30, 2009

Vogue Get's In: Diversity Is Afoot!

First I want to say I procrastinate like nobody's business. I wanted to write about this issue when first I saw it, but didn't. Oh well. I'm working on it.

Liya Kebede on the cover. Wow. Vogue is making unprecedented history and I love it! Even without a brown face on the cover this would have been a pretty amazing issue.




I must admit I was bummed Chanel Iman wasn't on the cover as she's my favorite. But I guess Liya is Anna's favorite and I can't hate. But if we're talking about models of the moment than surely Chanel has a greater presence in the current fashion scene. Aside from Liya's Estee Lauder campaign, which is no doubt a huge accomplishment, I've not seen much of her since 2008. Chanel on the other hand is all over the place. Most recently I caught her on the cover of Lula's May issue and on ID's May cover. She's also been featured in five other editorials since the start of the year along with campaigns and working the shows. Chanel is also co-hosting the revised House of Style with Bar Rafaeli.


And talking about diversification. This issue has a sprinkling of some of my most favorite models. Linda, Naomi, Christy and Iman. Three or four pages in and Elle McPherson is featured in a new Revlon ad for a new Age Defying foundation whose design is very reminiscent of YSL's Perfect Touch launched in 2006. I must admit it's one of my favorite foundations. Inspired by the lines highly popular Touche Eclat, Perfect Touch brightens and leaves the skin feeling light, soft and illuminated. I'll have to check out Revlon's version to see how it compares. Depending on where you purchase your Vogue you may or may not have this ad. But, anyway, I digress.

Naomi takes us on an exhibition through her New York apartment turned closet as she "cleans the cobwebs". Some pieces are donated to museums, some are gifted to fashion schools and some are held for auction. She even keeps some pieces as inspiration for her clothing line, 284, launched in Brazil.
Naomi also shares her opinion at a roundtable luncheon with iconic models Lauren Hutton, Iman and Paulina Porizkova; fashion fixtures Hillary Rhoda and Caroline Trentini and newcomer Karlie Kloss. Lauren schools on the business of modeling in the 70's, Iman celebrates the current monster walkers Sesilee Lopez and Raquel Zimmerman and Karlie espouses on the demands of the business on today's top model.

And then there's Daria. Truth be told, I didn't much care for Daria Werbowy upon her arrival in the late 90's. She was part of a trend of girls I deemed unfantastic, personality-free, deer-in-headlights imposters. Harsh I know. My assessment was more about the decline of the true supermodel era than the debasement of the undeniable beauty this new crop of models possessed. In a beautiful spread, shot by David Simms, Daria's' true talent is captured as a compelling fashion chameleon. What I like most about the spread is it's mix of studio and location shots. A little less typical.
Natalia Vodianova appears on the three-page pullout cover and in an editorial depicting legendary models of yore.



Model Lakshmi Menon is cast in a stunningly colorful and romantic spread set in her hometown of Goa. What I like most about her inclusion is she's not mainstreams' idea of an Indian woman. Her deep bronzed skin is a truer reflection of the diverse hues inherit in Indian society. Lakshmi appears on the cover of Vogue India's May edition.


Also in this issue:
* A cute little flash of Kanye West and his affection for the color red.
* A charming editorial of models with their better halves. Check out Greg Andrews, Doutzen Kroes adorably handsome dj boyfriend.
* Features and snapshots of Karen Elson, "model as muse" Kate Moss, Marc Jacobs, cover model Jourdan Dunn, 90's glamazon Kristen McMenamy, Amber Valletta , Carolyn Murphy and Gisele B.

I always love the group covers. Some of my favorites.








No comments:

Post a Comment